There are a lot of great places to go out in CLE. But sometimes, the best place you can be is sitting around a friend’s kitchen table laughing, talking, drinking, and being silly. A small group of us have started a standing “Girls Night In,” that is by turns hilarious, cathartic, dramatic, gossipy, educational, and terrifying (that last one mostly for PIP husband Hans).
So, what do you need for a successful Girls Night In?
1. The girls. Our ever-evolving Girls Night In group has Poise in Parma, Healthy Heddleston, Wearing Mascara, Clue Into Cleveland, and myself as the mainstays. I met all of these ladies through blogging, but at this point, we’re simply friends who all happen to blog as well. It can be tough as an adult to meet new people who you genuinely connect with. We all have our set groups that have existed for years and those are great. But to connect with new people and form true friendships is also such a gift!
2. Food. This may be even more important than who is in attendance at the Girls Night In. Staples for us tend to include Poise in Parma’s amazing chicken salad with cashews, salsa, hummus and veggies, fresh fruit, fancy cheeses, and something sweet.
3. Comfy clothes. If you forget comfy clothes, your hostess may be generous enough to lend you some. Just realize that this may result in you having to wear yoga pants and high-heeled peep toes on your Girls Night In ice cream run.
4. Some fuzz. The fuzz provides emotional comfort, as well as handy floor-cleaning skills for the inevitable food dropping.
5. Stuff to share. We tend to go around the table and everyone gets the floor to share what’s good, what’s bad, what’s going on, with plenty of advice peppered in from all. Girls Nights In have allowed me to share some major changes, to work through some tough questions, and to have people to celebrate good news with (even though we never popped that bottle of bubbly last night).
6. A sense of humor. We tease, we joke, we talk about outrageous things, people offer (threaten?) to live tweet your wedding. You never know what you’re going to get, but it’s always fun.
Take these ingredients, mix well and often, and you will have the makings of a perfect Girls Night In. Do you have Girls Nights In? What other “ingredients” do you bring?
***For another great perspective on our Girls’ Nights In, check out Wearing Mascara’s post.***