So, after Tuesday’s post, I kind of felt like having a *drops mic and walks away* moment. I mean, what more was there to say, right? Well, lots. For the last three months of blogging I’ve been keeping a secret from you. And I am a terrible secret keeper. So, here are a few things you missed in the last three months, since sharing them would have meant letting the CLEbaby cat out of the bag…
1. Writing about food was really tough. First, I had a complete aversion to meat for most of the first trimester. It’s starting to get better, but I’m still not so sure that I’ll be eating the turkey on Thanksgiving (although, truthfully, the side dishes are usually my favorites anyway). So if you noticed a lot of pasta dishes, well, there was a reason for that. And even if something tasted good when I originally ate it, by the time I went to write about it, I was like, “Why did I take a picture of that? I don’t want to talk about it.” I’ve missed food. So has Matthew. We’re both pretty happy the yuckiness seems to be fading.
2. I miss yoga. I knew I’d have to give up the hot power vinyasa flows and that’s totally worth it and valid, but I was proud of my practice and it had become really central to my weeks. I also learned the dangers of ego in yoga. I went to a beginners-level class and decided I could push myself to do the more complicated modifications of the poses. Not a good idea. I need to get my ego, which is telling me “You can do more,” to take a back seat to my body. I’m dipping my toes into prenatal and restorative yoga now, but it’s been a journey to get there.
3. I went to Target one day and bought a pair of sweatpants, a Be Maternity BellyBand, Sea-Bands (anti-nausea FTW), and some FRE alcohol-removed wine. I call it “The Pregnant Lady Special.” I share in case you need stocking-stuffers for the pregnant lady in your life.
4. I am stockpiling Christmas Ale. I hear the Great Lakes batch is really good this year. I also love Breckenridge Brewery Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas. I’ll have my own Christmas in July party.
5. I drove across town one morning to get donuts from my favorite donut shop: Royal Donut in Parma. Cravings are real, friends. The Dunkin’ Donuts that is 2 miles from my house wasn’t going to cut it.
6. I worry about posting less and writing about the pregnancy too much. While this is “just a blog,” I’ve put almost three years of effort into Why CLE so far and it really means something to me. I started posting less when I felt like I was stretching to get a certain number of posts and the content was suffering. I love recapping the fun things we do and places we go and there have been a little less of those lately. I also don’t want to turn this into a pregnancy blog. Why CLE is meant to be about Cleveland, as seen though my eyes: my life, with a distinctly Cleveland angle. I don’t want that to change, but being pregnant is a lens through which I see a lot of my life now, so it will creep in here and there. Thanks for being patient with me. Just know I think and worry about things like balance and content and all of that.
7. I have more energy now and generally feel better, which means lots of Cleveland fun to be had, especially with the holidays coming up.
Have a great weekend!