Matthew and I have really been enjoying our deliveries from Door to Door Organics! They’re convenient, chock full of tasty items, and easy to modify. For more info on how Door to Door Organics works, check out this post.
The folks at Door to Door Organics challenged us to come up with an original recipe using Door to Door Organics items. I turned to Matthew for help on this one. While I know my way around a kitchen, I’m generally a follow-the-recipe girl more so than a create-the-recipe girl. But Matthew whips up original cooking creations on the regular, so I knew he could help.
What we made are Pineapple Macaroon Sundaes with Dark Chocolate Sauce and they are quite tasty (this from a girl who doesn’t generally like flaked coconut). They kind of remind me of a pina colada in dessert form.
You can get almost everything you need to make these from Door to Door Organics. So, here’s the recipe, with links to the Door to Door Organics products.
Pineapple Macaroon Sundaes
- 1 Pineapple (note: not currently on the Door to Door Organics website, but available when we made the recipe)
- One 8 ounce bag finely shredded coconut
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Peel, core and slice the pineapple room temperature into ½” slices. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. Set aside.
5. Using about 4 heaping tablespoons of the macaroon mixture, cover the pineapple rings completely in a thin even layer of the mixture.
6. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
7. Top with vanilla ice cream. Drizzle chocolate sauce over pineapple rings and serve warm. Store in air tight Tupperware for up to 3 days.
Dark Chocolate Sauce
- 4 ounces Semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces Bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Optional: 1 teaspoon of Bourbon or Rum to be added in with the vanilla.
1. Combine chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from over water.
2. Bring cream to simmer in small saucepan; gently stir into chocolate. Add vanilla, and salt and stir to blend. This can be done ahead of time, up to 3 days ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Warm as needed over low heat before using.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did! But more so, I hope you find creative inspiration of your own in all the delicious, healthy, organic products that Door to Door Organics has to offer! I’d love to hear about your own recipe creations!
***Disclosure: I was asked by Door to Door Organics to help promote their Cleveland-area launch, including creating an original recipe with their products. In exchange, I received an account credit for Door to Door Organics. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.***